Do you know the best ways to help your child decode an unfamiliar word?
What should you do when your child struggles to comprehend a text?
Do you really understand what a "Level G" means?
Are you unsure of why your child spells a word correctly for Friday's test, but misses that same word next week?
I coach parents to assist in their children’s literacy development. I believe that with a bit of support, parents can become more actively involved in, better prepared to, and more effective at supporting young readers. I will show you engaging, research-based ways to improve your child’s reading – without commercial workbooks or costly tutoring. I empower you to support your children – from toddler to preteen - as they develop into proficient readers.
+ What is parent coaching?
I offer parent coaching to families who homeschool, as well as families who simply want more knowledge, skills, and strategies to support their readers right at home.
+ What do you offer with parent coaching?
The following menu showcases some of my offerings:
- Books for Babes: Emergent Literacy Practices
- She Reads It, but She Doesn’t Get It: How to Support Your Child’s Comprehension
- Words Their What? Understanding the New Spelling Curriculum
- My Child is a Level H: What Does that Mean?
- A Good Thing Even Better: Building on Your Home Literacy Practices
- Stopping Summer Setback: Promoting Literacy When School is Closed
- Making the Most out of Your Bedtime Story
- Dealing with Data: Interpreting My Child’s Work
- Reluctant Readers: What to Do When Kids Resist Reading
- WATE for LATR: Understanding Kids’ Spelling
+ What should I expect from parent coaching?
I offer a variety of coaching options. I will explain key terms, examine your child’s work, brainstorm solutions, and model easy-to-implement strategies. As you see me explain, model, and walk through the essential components of early childhood and elementary literacy development, I empower you to be a partner in literacy. My sessions feature the following:
- Fifty minute face-to-face sessions
- Candid and confidential conversations
- Intake questionnaire / conversation enabling me to tailor coaching sessions directly to your questions and needs
- Sessions conducted as individuals, couples, or in small groups
- Watch and learn: You watch as I model strategies with your child
- Try it out: I watch you and provide feedback
- Post session follow-up by phone / email